Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Work placement

As a part of CreComm, we all got to go on three week work placements. It was such a great experience getting to do what we love in the real world. Here is a little recap as to how mine went.

I, Melanie, was at CHVN and Ignite 107 radio, and most of my time was spent following employees throughout their day to learn about the station. I did a large variety of jobs including organizing CDs, determining target audiences for contests, creating PowerPoint presentations, connecting with youth pastors, voicing radio ads, and creating a large database of all of Winnipeg's churches.

I was also part of a project called "Brewed Awakening" where employees of the station went to various bus stops around Winnipeg from 7-8 am to hand out free Tim Horton's coffee and donuts. Besides spending time with deejays and prayer meetings every morning, this was my favourite part of the job. My most valuable moments were when I was just having regular conversations with people and learning about the stations and everyone's roles.


I learned more about how a radio station works, the process of ads from client to air, the importance of sales representatives, and that deejays are rarely ever live on-air. Although I will probably not immediately pursue a career in radio, I will be applying for their summer events position, and it was an excellent experience overall.

1 comment: