Monday, October 5, 2009

Walkathons and markers

This past weekend, both Daria and I had events as part of our Independent Professional Projects (IPPs.) I spent my Saturday morning at Kildonan Park north shelters to help out with the walkathon for Autism Society Manitoba (ASM.)

ASM is a small organization to help families of and those who have autism spectrum disorder. (For more information visit www.autismmanitoba.ca.) Part of my IPP was to do the advertising for this event, as well as the walks in Brandon and Morden. I wrote PSAs, radio ads, and print ads for the walkathon. Because of the size of the organization, I relied heavily on word-of-mouth and free advertising. It turned out to be quite successful, and we were pleased with the turn-out.

The walk started at 11, and I was in charge of registration. Most people came with their kids, and enjoyed a leisurely walk around the park followed by refreshments and a magic show. Over $11,000 was raised for Autism Society Manitoba. This money will go towards their information library, camps for autistic teens, and many other useful resources for those with autism.

Thanks so much to everyone who came out.

Side note: Later on that day, I did attend Daria's fundraiser i.e. the Marker social. Kudos, Daria. It was an absolute blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment