Monday, November 2, 2009

Windows 7

I'm sure many of you have seen some form of advertising for the new Windows 7. My first introduction to it was actually from my wonderful, but rather technologically impaired mom who subscribes to coupon websites. Through one of these discount databases, she saw a deal on something called Windows 7, and asked me if I knew what it was. Her description made it sound like a slightly advanced version of Microsoft products, and once I did a little digging, I found that's pretty much it. Since I was so confused about the product, and am still a little unclear as to what Microsoft is trying to do, I'll give you the "Windows 7 for Dummies" version.

Windows 7 is the new Windows Vista. But apparently better. It has a new task bar, a home networking system, and various performance improvements. The improvements include:

-Immediate start up when you turn your PC on
-More parental control with monitoring websites
-A detailed search engine in the start menu to look for your files
-The ability to "snap" documents you're working on to see them side-by-side
-A task bar you roll your mouse over to find the files you were recently working on

If you're at all familiar with Apple products, you'll notice that these new features are awfully similar to PC's opposition. The short ads with people who show you how to use the new features even end their script with, "I'm a PC and that's how it's done," or "I'm a PC and my job here is done." You can view all of the videos if you follow the link below.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/what-is-windows-7.aspx

The new software costs up to $219.99, depending on the type of upgrades you want. But if you're anything like my mother and subscribe to smartcanucks.ca, you can get it for only $64 if you're a student. If you're not a student, you can spend $200 on new PC software. Or you can buy a new Mac with all the same plus even better features for under $1,000. Take your pick.

1 comment:

  1. Windows 7 is lame just because of this video:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cX4t5-YpHQ

    "Hey, we're all bad actors trying to be good friends!"

    ReplyDelete